“It was acceptance that raised my self-esteem and motivated and inspired me more than anything else.” – D.Williams
Because every individual with Asperger is different, the type and level of support I give will depend on the student’s specific needs. I create a one to one relationship with every student, that’s based on trust, and carefully create an environment in which it feels safe to learn.
Benefits for the student.
- Easing stress and anxiety.
- Helping regulate emotions and reactions.
- Strengthening communication skills and social interactions.
- Providing strategies to help manage homework and workload.
- Reinforcing ability to work and cope independently at school.
Benefits for the teaching staff.
- Providing feedback and general knowledge on Asperger.
- Identifying areas where the learning environment can be adapted.
- Providing strategies to support the student’s learning.
Benefits for parents.
- Listening to concerns, taking family history and feedback into account.
- Knowing the student is safe and supported.
- Receiving regular updates on progress made.